Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sketchbook Wednesday

I had a professor in graduate school who once submitted a 3” x 3” ballpoint pen doodle on a paper napkin for the annual faculty exhibition. It was strange to see a gallery full of oversized paintings, assemblages, and sculpture and a large, open wall space with this little doodle posted at eye level.  When asked about why he chose to submit it, he would just grin and tell you  “Well it might just be the best thing I’ve ever done”. He was an interesting fellow with a wry, sarcastic, Tennessee sense of humor. His little scribble was one of my favorite pieces in the show.
  My sketchbooks fall into two categories. Some are filled with quick pen or pencil doodles done to warm up or blow off some steam. Others contain more traditional landscapes, nature studies and other drawings from observation. These are from the doodles. I won’t claim they are the best things I have ever done, but my old professor might..

1 comment: