Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Methods and madness


My work has evolved into two very different approaches.  The first consists of going through the rigorous, important and demanding process of beginning with thumbnails, developing sketches, informal photo shoots , and finally,  executing the final piece either digitally or with oil paints on a smooth surface like illustration board or masonite.
 The second approach is far less formal. I am a sucker for having a few blank, stretched canvases on hand, picking up a 3” brush and attacking it with  no preconceived vision, letting it evolve day by day.
 Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.  Here are a few examples of the first, more disciplined process. Friday I will be posting some of the spontaneous oil paintings.

1 comment:

  1. Takes me back two decades...and I mean that in the good way.
    I think.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete